First director of the Institute was Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga (19.10.1998.-08.07.1999.). From 1999 until December, 2010 the director of the Institute was Ojārs Ēriks Kalniņš, but since January, 2011 the work of the Institute is led by Karina Pētersone.
The main goal of the Institutes’ activities is promotion of Latvia’s positive international recognition, that is achieved by a creation of competitive identity for the state.
In accordance with the statutes the Institute carries out following functions:
1) participates in the creation of politics of Latvia’s identity and coordinates the implementation of it;
2) creates network of partners (governmental and non-governmental institutions, private partners, experts and others) that cooperate with the Institute in Latvia promoting activities;
3) organizes Latvia promoting activities abroad and in Latvia.
The Institute performs following activities:
1) prepares and spreads general information about Latvia and also detailed information about themes concerning the state, land and nation. It also prepares and spreads informative materials about Latvia, creates and supports Latvia’s official informative portal for foreign auditorium, offers information and consultations about issues in the competence of the Institute.
2) within lines of its competence carries out national and international projects;
3) within lines of its competence co-operates with governmental institutions, local authorities, non-governmental organisations, private persons.
4) achieves other activities that are defined in other legislation acts.
In 2012 the Institute received an award “For performing principle of good governance, through carrying out effective partnerships”.